The Mission: The purpose of the Salesian High School Math Leaders Program is to seek and place high performing students in the comprehensive study of math, science and technology, with the goal of admission to some of America’s most prestigious colleges and universities.
Selected students will:
- Be given a full tuition scholarship for four years. Books and general school fees are not included.
- Tour various highly competitive colleges and universities that are arranged through the program.
- Be willing to explore colleges and universities of a caliber that is compatible to the level of achievement and challenge that the Math Leaders Program provides.
- Apply for admission to approved college summer programs for high school students. The Math Leaders program will provide up to $1,200 to defray the cost of these programs.
- When available, participate in various internship and mentorship programs.
- Be exposed to a variety of cultural and academic experiences that are available in the area.
- Receive guidance and counseling services from a designated school counselor who also serves as the Math Leaders Coordinator.
- Take the most challenging and rigorous courses offered at Salesian High School.
- Participate in the after school science seminars that are mandated by the Math Leaders Program.
- Take a prep course for the SAT Subject Test in Biology in freshman year and SAT prep course in junior year. Both of these courses are free of charge.
- Be reimbursed for up to five college application fees to approved colleges and universities.
The Application Process: Principals of eighth grade students have been informed of the basic features of the Math Leaders Program. They have been asked to recommend appropriate students for the next academic year. Other appropriate candidates are encouraged to apply individually. The process involves:
• Completion of a comprehensive application form.
• After initial review, appropriate candidates will be invited to interview.
• A complete review of all past academic and standardized test results.
Math Leaders Should:
• Excel in mathematics (90 and above)
• Achieve and function as an honors students in all subjects
• Be enthusiastic about learning
• Participate fully in the culture and activities of Salesian High School
Participating Colleges and Universities: The following is a list of the colleges and universities that our benefactor has selected as the institutions that our Math Leaders scholars would aspire to upon graduation from Salesian High School:
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
University of Virginia
University of Notre Dame
California Institute of Technology
University of Pennsylvania
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute