Peer Tutoring Program
In addition to attending the office hours or extra help sessions offered by teachers, students struggling with a course may inquire with their counselor about participating in the Peer Tutoring program. Each student is paired with an upperclassman with whom they work on concept review, homework checks, and test prep, once per week. Should a student have a severe deficiency in a specific subject, or is struggling in multiple subjects, their counselor will recommend professional tutors for families to contact.
Services for Students with Disabilities
Salesian High School is fortunate to work with the New Rochelle School District to provide select services for students with an IEP or 504 plan. These include certain testing accommodations and basic classroom accommodations. A small number of students may also qualify for lunchtime/after school academic support sessions with our School Psychologist, who works under the New Rochelle Committee on Special Education.
Incoming freshmen and transfer students with an IEP/504 should contact Carmela Fava Gabriel, the Director of Guidance, for more information regarding the special education process and specific accommodations offered.
- Assist students with educational, social, and emotional issues
- Advise students in course selection process
- Work with students to establish good work ethic, improve study skills, and develop self-advocacy skills
- Track school and New York State graduation requirements
- Manage the college application process
- Promote academic achievement
- Provide mediation and short term personal counseling to students
- Provide “push in” classroom presentations on topics such as academic and social skills, College Board Examinations, transition to college for seniors, etc
Additional Services & Events
- College Process Information Night, Financial Aid Information Night, Annual College Fair, Annual Career Day, Administration of PSAT 8/9, PSAT/NMSQT, and SAT School Day, available on-site SAT prep course for juniors, individual college planning family meetings, and more.